Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Five new chicks arrived.  All we know is they are brown-egg-laying female chicks.  (We hope!  We already have enough roosters!)

Thursday, March 20, 2014

We spent some time today stretching out the drip irrigation line so each row will be at the standard 48" distance from its neighbors.

Some of the garlic is coming up nicely.

New garlic looking good.
This is interesting.  We must have missed some bulbs last year when we harvested.  They won't produce new bulbs this year, but they are "spring garlic."  We will eat them in salad like we might eat little green onions.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

We had our annual inspection by Oregon Tilth.
Here's the picture, as promised yesterday.  The hole is about three feet deep.
We will have a totalizing flow meter installed so we can document how much water we leave in the stream for the fish.  It will take a couple of weeks for our supplier, PGG, to get the parts and schedule the installation.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

We spent yesterday on some stuff.  We visited the accountant and bought a hose that is drinking water safe so we can wash vegetables outside for sale at the farm stand.

We also checked in with PGG regarding a change to our irrigation equipment.  We need a totalizing flow meter to measure the use of water on the Beverage's field to the north of us.  We'll subtract this from the values measured at the two pumps to calculate our usage.  I spent a couple of hours digging down to the buried pipe.  I'll do some more digging later today and get a picture.

Today we sprayed our fruit trees with Neem oil.

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Susan has been busy killing weeds with a flamer.  It is a propane torch that is used to heat the weeds.  In a day or two, they wither and die.
We raised some chicks last year.  They are now mature and laying.  (At least the five hens do.  The two roosters...)